Wednesday 15 February 2017

Artist: Matthew Humble

Interview with Artist: Matthew Humble

Today I am very honored to be talking with a guy who goes by the name of Matthew Humble.

Matthew Humble is an American artist and one of the best around when it comes to MOTU paintings.




MOTU!: Hi Matthew and thanks for taking time out to do this interview with me. Over the last couple of years, you have been doing some amazing MOTU paintings and your work just becomes better and better every time you paint something. The paintings you did to raise funds for the MOTU Fan Movie, Fall of Grayskull were top class. I think Daniel Benedict is a very proud man to have you in his corner when it came to raise funds for his MOTU Fan Movie!

Matthew: Thank YOU for reaching out. I’m honored that you wanted to speak. And yes, it was more than a pleasure to help Daniel with his amazing project- he’s such a great guy!

MOTU!: Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

Matthew: I was born, and now currently live in Louisville, Kentucky, USA- home of Bluegrass music, horse racing, and bourbon whiskey. Not a bad place to be. I’m raising two young boys on a steady diet of MOTU, LOTR, comics and cartoons. It’s amazing that a five and an eight year old can share the same love of pop culture at their (almost) forty year old goofy papa.

MOTU!: So Matthew, how did you get started doing MOTU Paintings?

Matthew: One day i just started painting three or four years ago. I love color and I love MOTU, so it was an obvious thing to arrive at this subject. The colors of the MOTU/POP characters is what drew me to them as a child. Faker blue, Moss Man green, Skeletor blue, Prince Adam lavender. We all know those colors immediately. They’re totally iconic. Maybe I will create a series of color field paintings using only the color schemes of MOTU/POP guys. Only color… there’s an idea...

MOTU!: How long have you been doing MOTU Paintings?

Matthew: Well i guess, now that you mention it, since 1986 or so. I have a water color activity page of Trap-Jaw framed and hanging in my kitchen. This may very well be my first MOTU work!




MOTU!: What inspires your works?

Matthew: Other artists. Contemporaries. Alessandra Fucarino for example. She’s the best customizer around in my opinion. Hands down. And although we work in different mediums, she inspires me. And I’m so happy to announce that she and I have many exciting joint projects planned. Stay tuned!

MOTU!: Which of your artwork pieces is your favourite?

Matthew: I love them all, but I guess the Grayskull Dungeon Grate. It’s huge and it’s one of the only MOTU paintings I’ve kept for myself.




MOTU!: Is there an artist you relate to?

Matthew: Many, many. I identify with Andy Warhol’s philosophy of art. I love classical Roman sculpture. Norem is my favorite MOTU guy. He’s unreal. In comics, Mike Allred. He’s amazing. And Frazetta. Wow. To have that guy’s talent and vision...

MOTU!: What would you call your style?

Matthew: Colorful Pop Art. Hopefully ‘quickly sold’ as well!

MOTU!: What is your preferred medium and why?

Matthew: Acrylics. They’re bright and they dry fast. I work fast, so they’re perfect for me.

MOTU!: How did your work develop throughout the years?

Matthew: I’m becoming more patient. I’m trying not to rush so much. But I always fear I’m overworking something if I take too long… And I’ve been using progressively smaller brushes as the years pass.

MOTU!: What is the most fun in creating MOTU Art?

Matthew: The love received from the fans of the property. When my work is complimented by a fellow MOTU collector, it just makes my day!

MOTU!: Do you use real people as a reference for your art?

Matthew: I use photographs. I really would love to paint from a live model, but the opportunity has yet to present itself.

MOTU!: Did you ever feel like giving up?

Matthew: Nope. I would paint even if nobody was watching. But it’s definitely more fun with an audience.

MOTU!: What's the worst thing about being an artist?

Matthew: Not creating. If I don’t paint for a couple of nights, I go absolutely insane.

MOTU!: Is there a purpose to your artwork?

Matthew: I sell my work relatively cheap. Intentionally. I call it ‘gateway art.’ Everyone should be able to afford, collect and display original art in their homes. Not only the very wealthy.

MOTU!: How do you feel when people interpret your artwork differently?

Matthew: I love it when people read into my work. It’s flattering that they take the time. They usually find some unintentional detail that was previously unknown to me. They make me see my own work with new eyes. It’s a gift.

MOTU!: What advice do you have for aspiring artists?

Matthew: The term ‘gateway art’ is copyrighted. You can’t use it. Haha- kidding! Advice? Well, just do it. Don’t talk about doing it. Just put the brush to canvas. All will be well.

MOTU!: Do you have any upcoming MOTU paintings that you are planning or currently working on?

Matthew: I painted an image of a boxed vintage He-Man. I think that particular one’s in Daniel Benedict’s collection now. I’d love to do the whole vintage run of these guys!




MOTU!: Where can people view all your awesome work that you have done so far?

Matthew: My gallery is:
www.pcpfh.wordpress.com I’m up to nearly 500 pieces at the moment. That’s a lot of paint! I also post work in progress photos on my personal Facebook page.

MOTU!: Thanks Matthew, great talking with you! We look forward to seeing more awesome MOTU paintings from you!!

Matthew: Thank YOU again, pal. Keep in touch...

Check out more of the amazing art of Matthew Humble!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment